Thursday, October 9, 2014

someone stop me.


I cut my own hair.
It takes me like a year to make an appointment and get my hair cut.
I either have to find someone to watch the kids or take them with me, either way it's a huge process and then I have to make small talk (WHICH I ABHOR!) with someone I barely know for over an hour.
I leave with a trim, I just do.
I refuse to go to places like Great Clips.
Which means I pay a bazillion dollars to make small talk and get a hair cut I just kinda like.
I rarely LOVE it.

(In all fairness, I do love the gal I have found here, she is adorable and does a great job....but add up the $$ and the time and the childcare situation and I'm still in the hole on benefits...)

So....someone (hi Carolanne!) made the suggestion to just teach myself.

Do some YouTube searches.
Buy some scissors.
And do it.

With no further ado.....

10pm at night.
After yoga.
After a shower.
Kids tucked neatly (well, ok, just tucked) in bed.

The Before:

SOOOO SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! (did I just post this on the world wide web!?)
I needed a trim...like bad.
I wanted layers.

so.....
I used this gals approach for the trim:


and when I got my underneath layer the length I wanted, I skipped over to doing the layers like this:

(this was stupid easy!  like, even if you're stupid, you could do this.)

BOOM!
the After
(ok, it's a crappy phone picture and it's like 7 am the next day, but there it is!)


There are photo bombers and then there are photo enhancers.
Sophie would be the latter.


For reals.
I love it.
It was easy easy easy!!!!!
And it was 45 min's.
And it was free'ish.

So then I just started lining people up.....


BOOM!


AH!!!!!!!!!

I cut everyone's hair.

Samantha had a layer that just wasn't working for me, so I blended it.
I totally DID.
Lydia needed a trim and I framed some layers around her face.
NO JOKE.

Lenora and Sophie just wanted a trim.
Their hair was SOOOOO long that I put it in a pony tail, chopped and then realized that that maybe isn't the safest way to cut a child's hair.
Um..it was like 6 inches shorter than I was going for.
BUT...
Now that their hair is short, we love it and it fits them!

The morning after:




(I made like 4,000 mistakes on their hair cuts but I can see what to do different next time! I'm so not 'good', I just did it! I'll keep doing it and get better and better!)

Here are the scissors I ordered.
They are good...I think?
I don't know enough about scissors to say anything other than: they cut.
We all have majorly thick hair and I did find myself constantly having to make smaller sections but that may not have been the scissors, just my lack of knowledge on hair.

And yes, Jake eventually lined up too!!!
No picture but I have cut his three times now.
I used to cut his hair (like  but never liked the way it turned out.
After watching this tutorial I realized a 1,000 things I was doing wrong and now we both love the way it turns out.


BEST PART:
$$$$$$

Get this...

$46 for Jake's clippers
$15 for the scissors

$61.

Less than ONE of my hair cuts.

Jake was spending $25 every two weeks.
$50 a month.

If we'd have all gotten our hair cuts:
$70 for me
$50 for Jake
$40 total for the girls.
= $160 in one month.

Savings: $99 so far!
S
Scissors and clippers, the gift that just keeps on givin' baby!

I'm HOOKED!


3 comments:

Venetia said...

I LOVE yours!!! Style like I have always wanted. Now, how did you get the luscious waves? I have a lot of body, and THICK as well... Good for you for being BRAVE!!! Girls look fantastic!
So much braver than I am- but maybe...

Stacy said...

Love love love. I've cut the girls' hair before but that's because it's curly and forgiving. I'm not allowed to cut my own hair...my stylist would kill me. But I love my girl. But I love most that you learned on youtube!!! My motto....fixing my house...one youtube tutorial at a time!

Amy said...

Everyone's looks great! Way to go! You can do anything, can't you?! :)